Christmas is here and everyone is busy with Christmas celebrations. We have come up with a bunch of Christmas vocabulary to make your Christmas celebration more delightful. Christmas is time to celebrate, exchange gifts, decorations and more. Christmas is celebrated in many countries and declared as a national holiday. Knowing a lot of Christmas vocabulary makes you lovable in the family as well as Church. Learn this Christmas vocabulary to exchange wishes and celebrate Christmas.
- Advent Calendar
- Candy Canes
- Christmas Card
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Ornament
- Christmas Pudding
- Christmas Tree
- Gingerbread House
- Gingerbread Man
- Menorah (Hanukkah)
- Mince Pie
- Santa Claus
- Santa’s Hat
- Santa’s Sack
- Yule Log
This was a list of Christmas Vocabulary words. Let us have a look at the aforementioned Christmas vocabulary one by one.
Detailed Christmas Vocabulary
A very special calendar to count the days for the anticipation of the advent of Christmas. Here advent means arrival or coming of a notable person or thing.
- Ray puts an advent calendar on her table. She is counting down very eagerly for Christmas.
- The advent calendar tells us about the importance of Christmas.
The bauble is a spherical shape and bright ornament for decoration.
- Mery decorated her house and Christmas tree with dozens of baubles.
- Ayesha bought baubles and many more ornaments for Christmas decorations.
A hollow metal object that sounds a musical note and attracts attention. It is an inseparable part of Christmas vocabulary.
- She was roused by the sound of bells.
- Small bells are hung all around in Christmas Celebration.
- A curved bend in something.
- To bend your head and body forward to show respect towards someone.
- Aria, a little girl tied the red ribbon in a bow and put it on her head.
- People bow their heads during the prayer in church.
A piece of wax having a wick in the middle.
- She was holding a candle in her hands during prayer.
- Please light the candle all around.
A sweet piece made of sugar.
- I need a lot of candy at Christmas.
- She hides her candy in the almirah and went for shopping.
Candy in the shape of a cane. Here cane is a walking stick.
- There are a lot of candy canes for children.
- Candy canes in different colors and attract everyone.
A religious and happy song especially sings on Christmas.
- Music on Christmas night is my favorite carol.
- A popular tradition at Christmas is caroling around the neighborhoods.
A hollow structure or passage through which smoke and gases pass from inside of a building.
- Everyone believes that Santa comes from chimney always.
- A chimney is made up of bricks.
These are the decorated card given at Christmas to exchange good wishes.
- Dallin sent Christmas cards to all his relatives and friends.
- Sending Christmas cards is a good tradition.
The day/evening before Christmas, i.e.December 24 is Christmas eve.
- Many countries have a tradition of celebrating Christmas Eve rather than Christmas day.
- Raina has a party for her friends and relatives on Christmas Eve.
Various items used for Christmas tree or home decoration are ornaments. There can be baubles, lights, ribbons, etc.
- Mery did a lot of shopping and purchased various Christmas ornaments for decoration of the Christmas tree.
- Christmas ornaments give a cheerful look to the home.
A steaming sweet food or pudding containing various items like dried fruits, spices, etc. and served after a meal at Christmas.
- A Christmas meal is finished off with Christmas pudding. Everyone enjoys its sweetness.
- Elle loves to eat Christma pudding.
A fir tree, well decorated for Christmas and is kept in the houses. This can be a real or artificial tree.
- Ryan helped her mother with the decoration of the Christmas tree.
- Shopkeepers keep Christmas trees in their shops in a gesture of good wishes.
A drink made from eggs, milk, sugar and generally mixed with an alcoholic drink like rum, brandy, etc.
- Eggnog is a good choice for people in the holiday season.
- Wine and eggnog are served to the people after food.
A little magical person (considered imaginary) with pointing ears.
- Elves are very mischievous in nature.
- People believe that elves help Santa in distributing gifts among them.
An open space in a room for holding fire.
- Aile swaps the ashes from the fireplace and made a roo for new fire.
- She has a stack of woods next to a fireplace so that she never runs out of them.
A circular shape made up of flowers and leaves that are put around the head and neck.
- You can wear a garland on your head. You look like a princess after wearing this.
- Leela put a garland on her Christmas tree for decoration.
Present that is given on a cheerful and happy occasion without any compensation.
- People exchange various gifts and wish at Christmas.
- Tonny got a bicycle as a Christmas gift from his parents.
A house with lots of Christmas lights, capable enough to light up the complete neighborhood.
- Ho ho ho, I will be making my house a gingerbread house during this Christmas celebration.
- White House is an ideal building to make it a gingerbread house.
- Wow, see that gingerbread house! The lights are pretty shiny.
A gingerbread which is cut in the shape of a man.
Cookie, sweet cake, biscuit.
- Having a gingerbread man in the Christmas celebration is bliss.
- My mom was fond of the gingerbread man.
A kind of tree, genus Ilex, used for Christmas celebration
- The cans of new milk were unladen in the rain, Tess getting a little shelter from a neighboring holly tree. Refer source
- And I waited behind the holly to see how they came back. Refer source
The medium of illumination, electromagnetic radiation visible to human eyes, to become bright
- Christmas is famous for its decoration with Christmas trees and lights.
- Christmas lights are making the whole arena look marvelous.
- Light up the candles, let’s celebrate Christmas together.
It is a lamp having nine branches, a candelabrum which is lit during the eight-day holiday of Hanukkah, a Jewish ceremony. Menorah means a lamp in Hebrew.
- Hanukkah is a Jewish festival of lights, similar to the Hindu festival Deepawali. Menorah is a special lamp lit at this festival.
A tiny round pie with mincemeat in it, used in Christmas celebrations
- Have you eaten the mince pie I prepared for you?
- I was waiting for a mince pie in the church after the prayer.
A plant belongs to a spurge family, a native of Central America. It Contains red-colored leaves that give a look of a flower. These are generally used on Christmas decorations.
- Selesa kept various pots of poinsettia everywhere in the house on Christmas eve.
- With a little care, the poinsettia can be used year by year.
Reindeer are the large horned deers generally find in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America.
- The presence of reindeers on Christmas indicates that Santa is there.
Is there anybody who is not familiar with the term Santa Claus? The old man in red clothes, wearing white beards and mustaches, has a bag with him full of gifts.
- Ho!Ho!Ho! Santa Claus wishes you all a merry Christmas.
- Santa Claus brings a lot of gifts and happiness for all.
Santa wears this on his head red and white in color.
- People wear Santa’s hat on the occasion of Christmas.
- I distributed Santa’s hats to all the children present at the Christmas party.
A sack used by Santa to carry gifts on Christmas.
- Santa Claus has something for everyone in Santa’s sack.
- Everyone gathered around Santa’s sack to take a gift.
A type of vehicle normally mounted on runners used to run over snow, pulled by animals.
- Santa Claus comes on a sleigh pulled by reindeer.
- To ride on a sleigh is very adventurous.
One of the flakes/mass of falling snow.
- Snowflake cakes are cut on Christmas celebrations.
- Ally was looking snowflakes closely during snowfall.
A figure, created by using snow. This is made by arranging various snowballs.
- Ryma decorated her snowman with a red cap, muffler, and a nose.
- Ryan and Sizzle are competing to make a better snowman than each other.
A stocking (Christmas stocking here) is a sock shaped bag that is hung near the Christmas tree.
- Various small gifts are there in the Christmas stockings.
- Christma stockings hung around the corner are very beautiful.
A circular arrangement of flowers and leaves used on a grave or for decoration purposes.
- Garland or wreath are put here and there for decorations.
- Maria wears small wreaths in her arms. She is looking very beautiful in this.
These are large wooden pieces usually burned in a fireplace on Christmas.
- People burn yule log not only on Christmas but also as long as the holiday season is lasting.
- People eat chocolate cake which is designed as yule log on Christmas.