New Year Vocabulary
The new year has just arrived and the need for refreshing your new year vocabulary has also become prominent. Everyone is busy in welcoming the coming new year. A new year celebration is a time to have fun. Here we are with some new year vocabulary. This new year vocabulary is our way to say you happy new year.
- Auld Lang Syne
- Big Ben
- Gregorian Calendar
- Happy New Year
- Julian Calendar
- New Year Celebration
- New Year Day
- New Year’s Eve
- New year Resolution
- Party favor
- Ringing in the New Year
- Stroke of Midnight
This was a brief list of the new year vocabulary to help you wish happy new year in many different ways. Let us have a look at all new year vocabulary terms one by one.
Detailed New Year Vocabulary
Auld Lang Syne
This is a Scottish poem that is sung on 31 December at midnight as a traditional folk song. This was written by Scottish poet Robert Burns in the year 1788. In simple English language, this term means ‘old long since’.
- The new year celebration is started by singing Auld lang Syne.
- Auld Lang Syne is a Scottish folk song for the celebration of the new year.
A bagpipe is a type of wind music instrument which is played traditionally on a new year celebration. This is a Scottish instrument.
- I am surprised to see his art of playing bagpipes. I was not aware of his talent before.
- A group of people played bagpipers on the new year celebration. People joined their hands together and danced on the music.
A very thin and small rubber bag, that gets its shape when air is blown into it.
- Emily is using different shapes of balloons for decoration of hall for the new year celebration party.
- James let the air out of the balloon.
- Harry, can you blow up these balloons for the party?
This is a big clock in London in the tower of the Houses of Parliament. It gives the signal for starting a new year in the United Kingdom.
- With the sound of big ben, people exchange wishes of the new year.
- Have you watched the time? I am waiting for the big ben signal for the new year.
A calendar is a record in various forms, generally, printed which indicates days and months of a year.
- Helly changes the old calendar with the new one on new year’s eve.
- Let me have a look at the calendar. Only after this, I can plan for the holidays.
Champagne is a wine, white in color. This is used for celebration purposes.
- Jacob opened the Champagne bottle in the new year celebration party and poured all around.
- Champagne is fizzing in the glasses.
Small pieces of colored and beautiful papers spread all around on an occasion or celebration.
- Daniel bust the balloon as the clock shows 00:00 am and a shower of confetti was there.
- With confetti raining all around her, Alisa was enjoying on her birthday.
Counting in backward decoration for the beginning of an event.
- People started counting down for the new year.
- The countdown for his performance is to begin.
The addition of items to make something look more beautiful.
- Jose did all the decorations alone.
- Decoration for the new year celebration party is over. Now I am relaxed.
The day or evening of the day one day before a certain day.
- New year’s eve is celebrated on 31st December, before one day prior to the new year.
- 24th December is celebrated as Christmas Eve.
An explosive material that makes noise on explosion with a bright view.
- Noah celebrates the new year with firecrackers.
- Firecrackers are banned in some parts of the country due to pollution.
A device that contains a combination of explosive materials which produces bright colors with a loud noise.
- People welcome the new year with fireworks.
- Danish was waiting for the fireworks to start.
- A happy new year party is not considered happy unless there are fireworks in the sky.
A group of people that comes at a place together for a special occasion.
- Today was a gathering of the company for discussing new ideas.
- Willian does not like social gatherings.
A gesture for welcoming someone.
A salutation for exchanging wishes.
- People greeted each other before the beginning of the session.
- New year greetings were exchanged by the people.
This is the solar calendar that is used worldwide nowadays. This was introduced by Pope Gregory in the year 1582 by revising Julian Calender.
- The Gregorian calendar starts with January and ends with December.
- 1st January is the new year’s day according to the Gregorian calendar.
Happy New Year
This is used very commonly to greet new year wishes.
- Aisha and John wish happy new year to each other.
- Wish you all a happy new year.
An instrument made up of glass that contains sand in it and divided into two parts with a narrow hole. Sand passes through a narrow hole and it takes one hour for passing from one division to another.
- In ancient times, the hourglass was used to measure the time.
- Ethan gifted an hourglass to Elijah on her birthday. She was happy after getting this.
This the solar calendar that was introduced by Julius Caesar in 46BC in Rome. This calendar fixed the length of a year as365 days and 366 days on a leap year.
- Gregorian calendar was introduced by modifying the Julian calendar.
- The orthodox category of Christians follows the Julian calendar.
A type of covering that hides the face or parts of it.
- The theme for the new year celebration party was wearing masks.
- Robbers use a mask for a robbery to hide their identity.
New Year Celebration
This is the celebration to welcome the new year by gathering of people.
- A new year celebration occurs everywhere worldwide on 31 December at midnight.
- People go to popular places for the new year celebration and enjoy it.
New Year Day
The very first day of Gregorian Calendar i.e. 1st January is called new year day.
- On the new year’s day, people are in great enthusiasm.
- James started his company on new year’s day.
New Year Eve
The day or evening before the new year day i.e. 31st December is celebrated as new year’s eve.
- People come together and do the party on new year’s eve for the new year celebration saying happy new year to one another.
- New year’s eve celebration is very common in the world all around.
- New year’s eve is a great time to party with friends and family while exchanging happy new year wishes.
New Year Resolution
New year resolution is a promise that one person does to oneself for gaining a habit or for leaving some bad habit.
- My new year resolution is to stop spending too much time on online games.
- Matthew took his new year resolution that he will go for prayers daily.
The passing down of beliefs, culture, or principles of a generation to the next generation is tradition.
- Fireworks have become a tradition now for the new year celebration.
- Angle and Joseph did their marriage ceremony in a traditional way.
- Wishing happy new year has become a tradition these days.
This is a type of jacket wears on a formal occasion.
- Carlos wears a tuxedo for today’s dinner.
- Rajat preferred to wear a tuxedo for Esha’s marriage to sherwani.
A small gift given to guests at a party.
- Christopher gave party favors to his guests as they were leaving.
- Nilima got a beautiful watch as a party favor.
A printed card, often with a picture or photograph on one side used to send through mail.
- Have you sent new year postcards to your sister?
- Logan sent William various happy new year postcards.
Ringing in The New Year
Celebration of beginning of a new year on 31st December midnight.
- Jas gave a party for a ring in the new year.
A long narrow banner of brightly colored paper used for decoration purposes.
- Dolly put balloons and streamers on the door for new year decorations.
- The red-colored streamer is looking beautiful with white balloons.
Stroke of Midnight
That moment when the clock goes from 11:59 pm to 00:00 am.
- On new year’s eve, people start the countdown at the stroke of midnight.
Now enjoy the new year with this new year vocabulary. Happy new year from English Prowess Team.